Monday, December 1, 2008

On Hammers, helmets, head shapes, and saving the world

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I have the feeling, after being immersed in G's treatment, that helmet therapy is the hammer I'm carrying around. I see heads everywhere that could benefit from some time in a helmet. I talked to the dedicated, wonderful woman who is treating G about this strange new tunnel vision. She says it is really bad for her. When she gets upset about seeing babies who are crying in infant carriers, she says she wants to scream, "Just pick them up!" (Excessive time in carriers can lead to flathead). Her husband teases her that she is trying to save the world, one head at a time.

I thought that was cute. I am sure that the kids' Music Together teacher is trying to save the world, one musically-enriched child at a time (her enthusiasm is saintly). My parents are trying to save the world, in a "think globally, act locally" kind of way. I was going to try to save the world through linguistic enlightenment, but I am no longer sure that it is the answer. Still shopping for my true hammer, I suppose.

No comments: