Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love and fromage

My friend M. recently joked that her husband's hatred for cheese was potentially grounds for divorce. It made me laugh, but I could relate. On all the important things, we're good. But on food, once you get beyond our shared eggplant aversion, we diverge pretty drastically. He dislikes mushrooms, olives, and artichokes, all of which are on my top ten, (somewhere behind cheese). For him, licorice and cupcakes are two important food groups, ones I could do without (the first more readily than the latter, admittedly). I doubt taste in food is ever a real "deal-breaker" for a relationship, and yet, it strikes me that it is nonetheless important, something I confront every time I sigh and turn the page in a cookbook past a great recipe that is half mushrooms.

No comments: